Monday, January 11, 2010

HUMBLE PIE

This weekend was the first race of the 2010 season, and as many of you know I moved up into the cat 2’s for the new season. With this 2010 season I had a lot of optimism on how the season would unfold. So with the first race of the season in the books how did I fair? Let’s just say I was served up a very large slice of humble pie, and did not taste very good!!!!


With this race I was thrown into a realm that I’m not very accustom too. Last year was my first season back racing XC since 1998, and it seemed that with the random and unorganized training that I did, I always found myself on the podium. I will not lie, last year I became accustom to this.

Yesterday’s race started out much like most of my races last year. The bell goes off and I out sprint 30-40 other riders to the single track and I set the tempo. Yesterday’s race was no different. The problem was that once I got into the lead, within 2-3 of the race my legs began to feel like a ton of bricks. I moved from 1st to 20th in a matter of minutes, and before I knew it I was in 20th position. I don’t know exactly why this happened but it did! After a few minutes my legs began to breathe life again, and I began to come back. Unfortunately I got inoculated by fire, (those boys are FAST), and I found out first hand that in the cat 2’s unless your name is JHK (Jeremy Hogan-Kobelski), or Sam Schultz you’re NOT coming back. Fortunately, I was able to drag my sorry excuse of a 29er Crew member butt back up into 14th position before the race was done. This was very discouraging.

I don’t really know where to go from here. I will have to sit down with my coach and talk this one over. I have been training, I have been following the schedule, I have been eating right, (well maybe not that last one), I’m trying to eat right. As I said before, I’m in a new realm. I ‘m now coming to the realization, the days of just random training are over and they aren’t going to get the job done.

This season I can already tell, is going to be different than last year. This season is going to test my resolve. The question is how I am going to deal with it. Am I going to crawl into a fetal position and cry like an over grown baby, or brush it off and take it as a learning lesson.

Check back later because right now, I WANT TO DO THE FETAL POSITION.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch... I'm sorry. But you won't curl up and hide, you will just get better. If you were still riding against the people you were last year you would have no reason to improve, now you have one. How did Mackenzie's ride go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rob,

    Sometimes our biggest @ss kickins help us the most. Keep on working @ it, results will come.

    I will continue to follow your season and cheer you on!

    Sincerely,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

Change is the law of life

“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” John F. Kennedy With the 2011...