Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fontana National-the motivator

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. ~Thomas Alva Edison


The Fontana City National was a keystone race on the 2010 schedule for me, because I wanted to know where I stacked up against the better riders. I will have to say, I was not looking forward to this race as of late. I have been struggling with my fitness do to mental breakdowns and life’s tragedies.

I arrived in Fontana on Friday and after unpacking the truck I headed out for a pre-ride with some friends. Within 15 minutes I had a sinking feeling that I was in for a rough race. The course was extremely difficult, and in my opinion it did not fit me in any shape or form. I do not generally do well on courses with lots of climbing and in Fontana, there is a lot of climbing! On the other hand, I generally like to go downhill, but this course it not exactly my style either. It was steep, tight, and extremely sandy in the corners. As I continued through my pre-ride my confidence was going down by the minute. In my mind I was thinking, “Why did I come out here? This race could demoralize you for the rest of the season!”

Well, Sunday came and I decided I would go as hard as I could and just let the chips fall where they may. I didn’t have the best start and I decided to let the leaders go and conserve energy for the later laps. I was hoping the leaders would slow down as the race went on, so I could get back in contact, but it didn’t happen. I settled into my own groove and kept pushing as hard as I could. The surprising part to me was how strong I felt. Yes, I was slow on the climbs but I was shredding the down hills on my 29er Superfly and I felt like I had all the power in the world on the flats.

When it was all said and done, to my surprise, I was able to make it to the podium with a 5th place finish. I guess if you’re going to have the best finish of the season, a National is a great place to do it.

I think this race set a bench mark for the rest of my season. I know my fitness is coming around and the confidence I gained this last weekend will help me through the rest of the season.

BTW— I was rocking the 747 plate again….This one was for you Schu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change is the law of life

“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” John F. Kennedy With the 2011...