Sunday, May 9, 2010

What inspires you?


What inspires you?

“When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.” — Sherlock Holmes, 1896

We all know that there have been times when we need nothing more than to get on our bikes and ride, ride to clear the mind, ride to clear the soul and sometimes we ride to just make the pain go away.

On January 30th 2010, I lined up for the 2nd race of the season to do just that, ride to make the pain go away. Let me take you back 2 days so you can truly understand my last statement.

On Thursday January 28th I was filling in on my day off so that I could then flex off on the following Saturday, for what would be the second race of the season. As I clocked out and was leaving, I had a conversation with a friend who asked why I was working. I explained to him the reason and just as he had done many times before, he asked how racing was going and wished me luck. This was a conversation that from now until the end of my days, will echo in my mind “Is a meaningless conversation ever meaningless”. Why you ask? Well, that conversation took place at 10:05 pm and at approximately 11:00 pm that friend, Lieutenant Eric Shuhandler, was shot and killed in the line of duty.

As it turns out, that meaningless conversation is one of the most meaningful conversations I may have ever had.

As you could expect the next day was filled with emotion. I was called into work to help cover shifts and then worked my own regular shift as well. I ended up being awake for 35 hrs straight and of that 35 hrs I worked 30.

I was sleep deprived and in a zombie like state as I was trying to make sense of the whole thing. As I talked to friends, family and coworkers about whether or not I should race, the general consensus was…..RACE!!!! If anything, race to clear the mind, race to clear the soul, race to just make the pain go away. As I lined up I was unsure how this was going to work out, I truly did not want to be there racing, yet I also felt like that was the best place for me at that time.

As you could expect I did not do all that well. I ended up 14th in my class of cat 2 30-39 men. To me though, I did not care what place I was, this race was about healing. I left a lot on the trail that day. I left my fear, my pain, and my broken heart somewhere on the trail.

Now that a few months have gone by I am able to share this experience with you all. I have came out of this with a new look on life and a better since of direction. I don’t know how this season will completely unravel but I know one thing, as I line up to each race everyone who knows me and those who are reading this story will know one thing, “I am racing for Schu”. And if you have any doubt, look at my number plate, 747… was Lieutenant Eric Shuhandler’s badge number.

So now I ask you….what motivates you, what purpose are you racing for? Where are you drawing your inspiration from?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change is the law of life

“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” John F. Kennedy With the 2011...